Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Plant City Strawberry Distance Classic

I ran this race last year and you can view that review in the February 2011 reviews. It was the same set up as last year with just a couple of changes. Same sign up, parking, packet pickup and same route for the course. Same shirts basically which do not have the year on it. Need to step it up to techs and put year on it. Also the same is the 1/4 or so distance from the parking/finish line to where the starting line is. One other the same was the 10 minute delay for the start!!!

One good change was going with a timing company and using the disposable bib chip timer. Thye moved the starting line about 30 yards so they could lay the mat across the road and moved the finishline back teh same to keep the measurments correct. Also had the big banner/flags finishline which makes it a better feel as you finish the race.

They turnout this year was about 100 more than last year's event. The weather also was very foggy so it was going to be humid, but the sun would not be a problem.

Brought the sub 19 runners to the front (funny there were about 15 runners that went up, but there were not 15 that even finished under 21 minutes) then anyone under 21. Everyone else then lined up behind. My goal was to beat my last year time of 21:50 and no injuries. With the longer distance training I have not started to work back on my sprint training. Will start to do soem now with only the Ft Desoto Half coming in March as the last long race until fall.

Started off a laittle fast as I looked at Garmin at 1/2 mile pace of 6:34 so slowed a little to mile time of 6:50. Let a few pass me up to this point and decided to see again how many I could pass after the first mile. Started to push it a little more through the second mile as I picked off about 4 runners passing halfway at 10:41. Passed the second mile with a second mile of 7:08 which was pretty much on schedule. Did not feel like I was slowing down, but did get passed by an older man so checked my Garmin and saw my pace was up to 7:40. With about 3/4 of a mile left picked it up and got my pace going as I pulled back by the older man and started to close on the next 3 person group.

Passed the 3 mile mark with a 7:17 third mile and was just behind a woman, high schooler, and runner I thought might be in my group. I surged passed with just under the final 1/10 to go, but the high schooler and guy pciked it up also to beat me through the finish. Told the guy "nice final sprint" and asked his age which turned out he was in teh younger group--always good!

Finished in 21:57 which was 7 seconds slower tghan last year, but without the training I was not disappointed. Was disappointed to find out I was 5th in my age group this year thou. Problem is they do 10 year groups so instead of 45-49 (which I would have been first) they do 40-49. Oh well at least they post it in the race details. Did mention with the extra runners they pulled this year they should look at doing that.

Ample strawberries and drinks afterwards and notcied the medals looked the same as last year also. Waited for son to finish then noticed from the results posted that we both finished in 5th in age group so we left to make it to daughter's softball game.

All in all a nice small event and would receommned. Probably next year I will look to do a different one for a change according to what tarining I am doing thou.

No comments:

Post a Comment