Saturday, January 7, 2012

The MADD Dash 5k..A Resolution Run

The MADD Dash 5k Saturday January 7 Al Lopez Park Tampa FL

The MADD Dash 5k at Al Lopez Park in Tampa was in its 10th year. Last years review can be found in the Jan 2011 blog. This is was going to be the first race of the year for me and still coming off the hamstring soreness combined with some (running hills) calf soreness I was not sure I would do it. I decided after doing a slow jog on Friday that I would since I enjoy the events the Take ... the First Step group puts on and I was first in my age group last year. Could I repeat? Another reason was I wanted to run a good race at Al Lopez since I have not been happy with the two races I have run there. Not the times, but the overall race.


               Nice playground for the kids that come out to cheer parents on during the race.

It was a semi chilly morning in the high 40's (start time it was 48) accompanied by some overcast clouds made for a nice race. Did day off registration since it was unclear I would be running so arrived a little early. Registration was no problem. Signed up and got my shirt. Same design as the one last year, but this one was long sleeve--me like! Did not receive the "goodie" bag with coupons and flyers thou, so went to another table to get one of those.
LONG SLEEVE TEE!!

After putting stuff in the car I went to the park bathroom (nice instead of portalets) and went to warmup. During warmups I noticed one of the runners I see allot Sebastian H was warming up with his son. Had to stop and ask if he was in my age group yet since he runs so well. He had not had his birthday yet so good he was still in the group below me. Will be the last one thou.

My goal for the race today was to run a good race, but get out with any more injuries or make the ones worse. I have the "hills" of the Ocala Half marathon in two weeks so want to be healthy for that. The plan was to go out allot slower on the first mile (5k average around 6:25-6:35) and try to run a negative split. Like most runners I have run 5ks by sprinting a fast first, staying close in the second, and trying to hold on in the third. Need to improve this year to run more even miles. Even thou well below my usual 5k time somewhere between 22:30-23:15 final would be okay for today.


                                                   All paved street and sidewalk course.

Got my warmups in and got lined up at the start. Saw a few of runners that I usually are back and forth with so it was harder to line up back a little and know I was going to let them run off. A few instructions, comments on MADD, course directions, and off we went. Felt good with the start and did not feel like I was running to fast until my Garmin showed 6:27 pace at 1/4 mile. Starting slowing it down some and past 1/2 mile at 6:40 pace. Still to fast even thou I felt good. Funny I was making myself slow down, but passed 2 runners as I was doing it. My mind was better at ease as I passed 1 mile with a 7:20.


As we exited the park and ran down Hines Ave I passed two other runners with the next one a good bit ahead of me. Concentrated on my pace and reeling him in. Entered the north part of the park and remembered this is usually my problem area. I do not know what it is, but I lose my pace and time in this area as you make a long curve around the pond and head back towards the parking lot. As I checked my Garmin I noticed my pace was slowing down so focused on my "Pump, Lift, and Turnover" manta I say to myself. As I made the turn to go around the parking lot I glanced back to see a large gap behind me from the next runner. Coming out of the parking lot I passed the 2 mile mark with a 2nd mile pace of 7:39. Not good for one of my regular 5ks, but on pace for today.
                         No one in view behind me--now to catch the one in front of me!

Okay no one behind me that is going to catch me so let's focus on pace, finishing strong, see if I can catch the guy in front of me! Since I was not feeling any of the leg pains I started to pick up the pace to see if I could match or beat my first mile pace. As I made my way around the long curve on the south end of the park I was getting closer and closer to the guy in front. As I pulled within a few steps I noticed he looked like my age group so with running a slower overall pace did not want to take any chances. I surged past him with about 3/4 miles to go and kept picking up the pace. Came off the road portion and onto the finishing sidewalk portion. As I came towards the 3 mile mark I saw my pace for the third just off my first mile at 7:26 (vs first 7:20). With just a 1/10 left and enough room behind (just in case my leg started to hurt) I "opened it up" and went into a full sprint. Really felt good to finish a race here with a full sprint left for the finish. Crossed the line at 23:05 which is my slowest race here, but ran a smart race with the injuries, a close to even pace, and able to full sprint at the end without being tired after. Very happy with that!


Always good supplies of Fruit (oranges, apples, and bananas), bagels, bars, combos, water, and gatorade awaits you at the pavilion. There were about about 15 nice door prizes which they had already pulled numbers and had it posted for you to check--like that. Filled out my unofficial finisher card (you fill out info since it is not chip timed) and talked to fellow runners. They did a mile "fun run" and then time for awards.


Very nice trophies for overall (wow--13 yr old Daniel D won in a 17:04 time), master, grand master, senior grand master, and high school awards. Funny the high school winner's times were in the 30s which is high, but they guy and girl were the only ones in their age groups. Good for them. Noticed my runner friend Sebastian H won Masters (hopes he keeps winning that to keep him out of my age group). Started with older group and worked oldest to youngest.


Made the way I planned to run and stayed on the plan during the race so much better by placing First in my age group (and yes the guy I passed near the end was in my age group). First time I have repeated after placing first last year! Now it is time to plan on the Ocala race, but will continue to put this beginning of the race on my calender!!



1 comment:

  1. See you at Ocala in a few days. Maybe we can meet up for a coffee or beers?

    Kevin
    HalfTRIing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete