Friday, December 30, 2011

April 2011 (b)

Hare-Racing Experience 5k/kids run Saturday April 23 U.S.F. Tampa Fl
Was looking forward to this Easter time event and even had my mother in law drop my daughter off for the kid's race. I will have to say this event is for a great cause the Epilepsy Service Foundation so I will try and keep it nice, but I will not do this event again. It was the 19th year of whomever puts on the event, but I did not enjoy it at all. Maybe it was a one year snafu because of some construction or something else I d onot know, but problems where everywhere.

First packet pickup. One table for everything got things backed up quickly. Race started late because of it. Course was one loop around soccer stadium and then two loops through the trees with soft sand. Allot of kids up front that you had to get through .Runners were going in and out of each other with some on first lap walkinf and others on second lap running trying to get through. One kid got knocked down that I heard. Came back around soccer stadium underneath the stands towards the finish. Then the yhad the mile run which you ran 3 laps with each time you passed you go a straw to hold to to slow what lap you were on. The lap went in and out through the crowd waiting for awawrds. The little kids race then started and went about 15 yards and as the guy said "Ran around me" and then back to teh finsihline. I almost pulled my daughter out with all the kids ina small space running, but wanted to get medal. Then as they finished there othe rkids passing out the medals as the runners dogged getting hit by them. Awards took forever and I heard allot were incorrect. The boy we saw win the mile race overall di noy get an award since he had drooped a straw even thou veryone saw he way out in front of the rest.

Like I stated do not want to be negative whe na great charity is involve, but wanted to give a review. Hopefully most will be fixed, but we will not be back..

Desoto Parade Run 5k Saturday April 30 Bradenton Fl
"Run before the Parade"
One of my favorites. You can read my review from April 2010 on the usual  race details. This year thou I would be running my own pace. So my goal was PR. After the disappointing time the Saturday before I was hoping for a better event. This year they had some parachuters come in for the start of the parade so they were landing as we took off. I felt good and relaxed as went out of the football stadium and onto the street crowded with parade watchers. They really cheer you on at these early parts of the race and it does inspire you. I reached mile 1 at 6:32 and had no intentions of losing much ground. Kept trying to keep the same pace as I was able to pick off a few runners heading towards mile 2. Passed it with a 2 mile pace of 6:57. So lost some ground, but still not to bad.

Third mile with the only small hills you contend with slowed me some.I kept trying to keep the pace , but came through mile 3 with a 7:15 pace. That left me 40 seconds for the final 1/10, but with one last small hill and the turn right before the finish I came in at 21:27. Missed my PR by 3 seconds. Close, but no cigar this time! Still I was happy with my time with breaking 21:30 for the third time.

Sadly that was only good enough for 7th in my age group (fast older runners there that day) and 27th overall out of 262. Still like this race and on will be on the calendar for 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment