Saturday, December 31, 2011

September 2011

River of Life's Run for Life Saturday September 3 Riverview Fl
This was the first event put on by River of Life church that decided to make this event a fundraiser for the Bloomingdale Library Survivor. The family stated they did not want thier daughter know as a victim anymore, but as a survivior of the terrible attack. She was actually there for the award ceremony. Nice touch and what a blessing she is!!
 
The event was held at the Riverview High School football stadium. Course was two loops. You started on the track and went around once then out through the parking lot and around the perimeter of the school. You came back through the parking lot and into the stadium to start loop 2. Pretty simple course layout. There was just to many changes in terrain. You went from the track, to the sidewalk, street, sidewalk, hard packed dirt, grass, street, and back on the track. There was a big day of regristartion signups and where the table was it made for a backup so the race started a little late.
 
Having not run a good 5k in awhile I was looking as always to PR. Weather was warm and sure it would heat up quick. We lined up and after intructions off we went. As we made the turn around the track I was with the lead pack of 4. Two high schoolers and about a 30 yr old. Figured by looking over the crowd there would not be to many fast runners. By the time we made our way out of the stadium and onto the street the two high schoolers had pull away, but I was right behind the other. As we past Mile 1, I started to pull away from the 30 yr old runner with the first mile pace of 6:35. Going through the dirt and grass slowed a little as I tried to keep the pace going. Another runner pulled up behind me as we entered the stadium for halfway and water station. Went half around the track and back onto the sidewalk and street. The other runner (noticed he was not my age group) passed me around mile 2 mark which showed a 7:05 second mile. I stayed not far behind him for most of the rest of the race. Did look back once as we turned on the dirt road and couldn't see anyone close.
 
As I entered the grass I knew I need to push to get close to PR, but starting to question distance on Garmin and what was left. As I ran closer to the stadium the other runner had pulled away and I noticed I was coming to the 3 mile mark on my Gramin. Third mile of 7:17 would have given me a chance at a PR, but I knew there was more than 1/10 left on the course. Entered the stadium and circled the track with a finishing sprint to finish in 22:35. Checked my Garmin which showed a distance of 3.22. Not happy with the time or distance, but knew that my 3.1 time would have been close to PR. First in age group and 4th overall out of 207 runners.
 
Was able to get some extra mileage in as the other runners continued on the course by running back to a friend Bill L and ran with him in. Then ran the loop around once again for a total of about 5 3/4 miles. Funny one of the volunteers I kept going by asked if I was ever going to finish.
 
Sat down next to one of the pastors from the church and discussed thier church, the charity, and the event. Gave him some ideas on improving the event for next time. Would do again in schedule allows.
 


Blown Away 8k Saturday September 17 Bartow Fl

Drove the 40 minutes north to Bartow for the first of two races in the fall in the Bartow area. Was looking for some longer races as I trained for my half marathon in October, but couldn't find any 10ks or longer that were close to home. The races in Bartow are put on by the Bartow Parks and Recreation Department. This was the second year of this event and they had only 54 runners last year so I figured I could give a different distance a try and probably place pretty easily.

The course starts in the middle of downtown on Main street going about a 1/10 before turning left for another 1/10 and going onto Standford St for a downhill stretch.Then passing the 1/2 mark you turn right onto Oak Ave going slighty uphill past the 1 mile mark. Turning on Stuart and Jackson with a few downs and ups you turn around at the 1.5 mark. Coming back you turn on Georgia St and then a long stretch on Orange Ave, Passing the 2 mile mark you continue with some ups/downs almost to the 3 mile mark. Turn shortly on Oak and Church. Then onto East Blvd for about a 1/2 mile stretch. As you turn right on Wilson Ave the fun begins. There is major down and right back up hill that you better be ready for especially since you will do it again.Turn on Blount as you past the 4 mile mark. You basically make a large circle around the bank parking lot and go back on Wilson Ave for the big hill one last time. A nice downhill on Church Ave, a turn on Oak, and then a sprint to the finish on Main St.

As I got done warming up and making my way to the start I noticed the fast runner Sebastian H .who will be in my age group next year. Also saw two other runners who are in my age group that are about 15 to 20 seconds slower than me in a 5k, but will the longer distance make a difference? My goal was to beat my 10k pace of 7:40. We lined up for instructions and off we went. As figured Sebastian was gone from the start with about 5 others. I settled in with a few others in what I would call the third group of 6 with about 4 in the second group. As we passed 1/2 mile I saw my pace at pace at 7:20 which I was okay with since I was feeling good. A few of the third group runners fell off as we passed mile 1 with a pace of 7:20. Same pace that was good.

Settled in behind 2 runners in the third group as we seemed to be closing in on the second group. Hit mile 2 with a pace of 7:21. Nice easy pace that I had going. As I made the turnaround I kept an eye out for the other 2 runners that I knew were in my age group. Saw one about 25 seconds behind and the other even farther. They would have to really pick up the pace to catch me. Making my way on Orange Ave I pulled away from the other 2 third group runners and pulled in behind some of the second group.The group had separated a little so I was with two of them. Passed them before I hit mile 3 mark with a pace of 7:32. Still going good. Now the turn on Wilson Ave and the big hill. Really slowed me coming back up it. Took a bit to get back in stride, but could tell my legs were getting tired from it. Need to run more hills in training! Got it going again as I passed mile 4 with a pace of 7:51. Lost some ground on that mile so decided to pick it up.

Push harder as I made my way towards Wilson Ave and the return of the big hill. Surged hard down the hill , but made the mistake of trying to stretch going back up. Could feel a strain in hamstring which I thought might pull. AsI reached the top I slowed down to see how it felt. I could feel it with each step, but not to the extent it would pull. With only just over a 1/2 mile to go I glanced back to not see anyone that close to me so decided to slow down just a bit with still keeping a good pace. Rounded onto Main  St with a little last burst for the cameras and a finishing time of 37:06 and a pace of 7:28. Job done with 13 seconds taken off of the 10k pace! Finished first in age group and 9th overall out of 71.

Plenty of water, fruit, and something else (?) no one seem to try afterwards. Waiting for the awards seemed to drag on a long time. Director even mentioned twice that they were about done. Then stated there were computer problems and will be even longer. Finally gave out awards. Very nice Overall and Masters (so close I was second in Masters) trophies. All in all great event with a few minor things, but really need to get results/awards done quicker especially if it is a chip timed race. They stated that this event would be moving from September to January to hopefully draw more runners. Will put on my calendar to do again and look forward to the other Bartow race I will do around Thanksgiving.




 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment