Friday, December 30, 2011

April 2011

Race For Sight 5k Saturday April 2 Ybor City Fl
This event is a fundraiser for the Lions Eye Institute and is held in Historic Ybor City. It is great event for a great cause. It starts at Centennial Park and makes its way down 4th st and continues on Nuccio Parkway for a out and back returning to 4th street and the park.It is mostly flat with just a slight incline and decline. When you turn back on 4th st heading to the finish the sun is just coming over the trees so it was a little hard focusing on the course. Glad I decided to wear my sunglasses. Only problem was my Garmin battery went out so I did not get any times or distance except for the mile markers on the course. I paced myself by noticing other runners I knew and where the finish in front or behind me normally. Using that I ran a pretty good race coming in at 21:38 which I thought would place, but found out there were some fast runners there that day. I was fifth in my age group and 43 out of 493.
Group putting it on did a great job with markers, water, and food afterwards. Being in the park they had vendors there with Spanish food since it was in Ybor City. Cotton shirt. Would do again if schedule allowed, but will make sure Garmin battery works!!


Run Like You Care 10k/5k Saturday April 16th Lake Wales Fl
Ran this race as we were out of town planning to go to Bok Tower after the race. This was the first event put on by the Lake Wales Care Center and they did a good job on their one. It was held just off of Lake Wales and started at Kiwanis Park. The park had restrooms, playground, and even a skateboard park so my son was excited.

The 10k and 5k started together with the 10k runners going around most of the lake and returning back to the start before doing the 5k course. I think that confused some of the runners, but more on that later. The 5k started off at the park and then turned on Tower Blvd which had a major uphill. You turned left onto a bike trail. You followed the bike trail which had varying ups/downs to just passed the 1 mile mark. Then onto 4th St, Sessoms Ave, 3rd St, and then onto E Park ave which was a nice downhill to the lake. You followed the sidewalk along the lake back to to the finish line. Not the best in scenic views on a course and multiple elevation changes, but not to bad.

Like I stated the 10k and 5k runners started together, but you quickly found out who was in which race when the 5k runners turned right on Tower Blvd. Going uphill I noticed I was right with the lead group of 6. As we entered the bike trail 3 of the runners separated themselves from us. As we got closer to the 1 mile mark 1 of the runners with us fell behind. First mile was right on pace at 6:35 with trying to lower my 5k PR.  Keeping what I thought was an even pace I was leaving the other runner with me as I closed in on halfway. I noticed as I went on a steep uphill to the halfway turn on Park that my pace was off. The downhill helped, but second mile was a 7:10. Still okay thou. This is where either the confused runners part comes in or I did not notice the runners who had caught me.

As I was entering where the sidewalk goes around the lake I thought looked back and did not see any runners behind me. I did notice that there were some 10k runners coming back from the first part of thier race which joined together at this point for the next mile (and end of thier first 5k). I was with a pack of about 5 running this last mile of the 5k thinking I was the only actual 5k runner. My last mile was 7:18 which did not leave enough to PR, but as I passed the point where the 10 k runners were suppose to turn only 1 of the 5 turned. The other 4 kept going through to the finish line.  Like I stated I did not notice anyone behind me as I came to sidewalk and did notice the 10k (?) runners joining me so it was confusing. I think some of the runners thought they were running the 5k course and ran the first part of the 10k course instead. Of course that was pretty much flat instead of the steep inclines that I endured.

Either way I finished in 21:40 second in my age group and 8th overall out of 102. They was some water and fruit/bars, but they ran out before all runners were done. We waited awhile before the awards were to be given when it was stated that the medals that were ordered did not come in before the race. OOPS!! That was a new one on me. No awards? Oh well they did mail them as stated. Cotton shirt. Mile markers and water at halfway. Would consider doing again, but is to long of a drive.






No comments:

Post a Comment