Friday, December 30, 2011

March 2011

Champion 5k ESPN Weekend at Hollywood Studios Saturday March 5 Disney World Fl
My first experience with a Disney race was just as advertised. Of course it cost more, but thought it was worth it. Down the road I am sure I will do one of their longer races, but wanted to try the shorten one first to get my feet wet. Sadly it has turned out to be the last stand alone 5k they do.

Packet Pickup was at the ESPN Sports Complex and was very dark. Would have expected more light for a Disney event, but no problems with pickup the night before. I prefer to have my stuff ready to go instead of worrying about it the morning of. They stated it had sold out so I knew there would be allot of runners in this and would easily be the biggest event so far they we attended. I had signed my son and I up for the two person team (male) competition since I knew I had no chance of finishing in the top 3 overall.

Race morning was a chilly day, but good for running. As expected there were people everywhere. Got our warmups in and took our windbreakers off to make our way to starting line. They had sings with pace times that you were suppose to line up behind according to your pace. I lined up in the first one 7 min and under. My son lined up in the next one 8 min and under. Goal was for me to run sub 21 and him sub 24:30. In looking at previous years that would put us right there for the team top three award.

ESPN announcer Trey Wingo was the emcee introducing some football players. On hand were the Miami Dolphin cheerleaders and the Harlem Globetrotters. Talked to a couple of runners up front. One being a young boy who stated he would break 19 minutes and another shirtless guy Trey made fun of since it was so cold. Countdown started and race with started with confetti boom. We made our way down which looked like the old way you came in through some parking booths and on out for 1/2 mile then back to mile 1 before going into Hollywood Studios. I passed mile marker (with digital clock for times--nice!!) at 6:30. Felt good as we made our way through the Sights/Sounds Stunt show area. Went passed some airplanes and through a warehouse (did not noticed what for) and on to the Star Wars area. Wondered if my son would stop there and play with the Star Wars stuff.

Passed Mile 2 as we entered the courtyard with the little fountain pond. Clock showed 13:40 which made mile 2 pace 7:10. Knew I had to pick it up to get near 21 minutes so pushed as I went by the Big Mickey sorcerer's hat. Passes the shirtless guy as we made our way to the Tower of Terror. Had mentioned to my son when I came back around the Tower that he needed to be passing me going in. That is what I had planned on teh map for us to get the times needed. Did not realize the uphill behind the tomwer so it slower me somewhat. As I came around the tomwer there was my son ahead of pace or was it me being behind in pace? Still pressed on and ran passed the front gate where people were lined up to come in.

As I came to mile 3 I could see that sub 21 would not be today. But seeing the cheering crowd, my wife and daughter cheering, Dolphin cheerleaders, and the Globetrotters at the finishline did help the sprint to the finish. No sub 21, but a new PR at 21:27. Did finish 37 out of 1872. Happy with that! Went back to cheer on my son when I saw him turning the corner. Yelled for him to sprint it out and good for him finsihing in 24:26.

They give you the medals as you finish and there are bags with water, bannana, and bars. Ran the Kids races with my daughter and she sprinted away from me so a little concerning until I caught back up to her at the finish.

Waited for awards and to my displeasure we finished in 4th PLACE!! I asked the 3rd place finsihers thier time and found out we missed by 27 seconds. The actual amount of time I would have needed to go sub 21. My son met the goal, but I failed to meet mine. Good thing he didnt take it as hard as I did.

Great event as I am sure all Dsiney events are and will be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment