Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What started the interest in running??

Interesting how things get started when no interest was there before. My mom had bought my son a new bike for Christmas 2009 and him and I went to a local park to ride on the trails and get him out of the house. We went to Flatwoods and rode around the 7 mile cement loop plus a little on the trails. We had a great time so decided to go to Trout Creek a few weeks later and ride the trails there since it was closer. While there we noticed there were having the Squiggy Classic Weekend which consisted in allot of different events including a 5k, Bike trail riding, Canoeing etc... I asked him if he wanted to do one and he thought it would be cool so I didn't like the idea of him riding a race through the trails on his bike so we decided on the 5k through the trails.

So on March 14 2010 we did the Trout Creek 5k.(review will come later) and really enjoyed it. I asked if he would like to do some other 5k events and maybe win some awards (using awards as an incentive). So I started picking 5k races that were smaller and check the prior year's results to make sure he would have a chance to place for an award in his age group which was usually 14 and under or 11-13. We did multiple races through the spring and summer (reviews will come later) and into the fall. I ran along and paced him through the first 5 races and then started running my own pace. In the fall he ran with the XC team on JV (which still for a 6th grader is a great accomplishment) and then some more in the spring of this year, but has lost the desire to compete as much and moved on to Pep Band for football games and Middle School Basketball. He will still sometimes join me on some races or just come to watch and cheer me at the finish.

I thou have gotten the bug. After being a fast runner in elementary and middle school (a long time ago) I have not ran much at all. I had lost about 45 pounds before we started running so the interest was I guess just the love of running. I actually like to get out for a run (thus the Blog name) to just get my head cleared. in doing different sections of trainings or actually race day with the excitement that comes with it. In deciding what events and races to do I usually search previous years for results and reviews, so I thought I would add mine for anyone interested.

Once again hope you enjoy and hope to hear your responses!

No comments:

Post a Comment