Saturday, December 31, 2011

October 2011

Frakenfooter Half Marathon and 5k Saturday October 29 Starkey Park New Port Richey Fl

Finally it was here! It had been on my calendar for a long time as my first Half Marathon. I picked this one since it was a smaller in size event. So no hussle and bussle of big crowds. Just focus on one foot in front of the other. I had signed up for the Half and my son had signed up for the 5k. Even thou it was just an hour from home I used some travel points to stay at a hotel close as to not have the hour drive in the morning.

I had been training for this for about 5 months even with running in other events. Goal for the race written on the regristration copy taped in front of me in my office so I would see it everyday was 1:59:59--break two hours!

We stopped by for packet pickup the night before (I like to have my stuff as to not worry about the morning of) and all we found at the park was a U Haul truck opened up with a young girl. Took her awhile to find both our packets. wanted to ask a couple of questions with my son running the 5k and waiting around for me, but she had no answers for me. They did have allot of "spooky" decorations up for the event thou. Very nice yellow neon long sleeve tech shirt--its a keeper!

Arrived back in the morning with a misty rain. It was very dark with not much lights anywhere. Glad we went by the night before so we knew where to go and park. Walked to the pavilion to ask some questions. The walkway from the parking lot to the pavilion was decorated with spider webs, skeletons, and ghostly lights. Thought this was a nice touch, but lights in the parking lot would have helped.

Was instructed that the start would be delayed about 15 minutes because of the rain. Did not plan on warming up since the thought was the half would be warming up enough. The plan since the half and 5k started and went out together for the first 2 1/2 miles was to run with my son doing a 8:45 pace so I could get an even pace going and have my son going with a decent time to try and place in his age group.

As with every race I pray by myself or with my son at the starting line. We had lined up at the starting line and as I was finishing praying my son said "They started." Never heard any instructions or start signal at all. Just people moving.We made our way down the road in the darkness dodging as many puddles as we could. Luckily as we made our way onto the main road we could see a little better. Noticed we were at an 8 min pace so slowed us down a little. At the Mile 1 mark I noticed we were at a 8:47 pace so going good. We also came to an open area so you see even better and thankfully the rain was stopping.

Made the turnaround at the front of the park and glanced down to see we were still on pace. Pointed out a boy who looked his age and asked if he wanted to track him down. He did so I told him to not get water at the station and use the water bottle I had in my hand. We sped up just a little and passed him just around the Mile 2 marker which we did that mile in 8:29. A little fast, but feeling okay. As we came to the separation point at about the 2.6 mark I told him he needed to sprint out the last 1/2 mile to finish strong. I gave him my water bottle to take with him, gave each other a fist pump, instructed him to be back at that point in an hour and half to help me finish, and off him went sprinting to the finish. Good for him he finished in third in his age group!!

I was at the point of no return now with over 10 miles left. I was feeling good and excited! Finished the third mile in 8:38 and started to pass a few of the runners. Offered support to each one I passed. Noticed a woman walking back and assumed she had some injury. Felt bad for her. Was really in a grove and had picked up the pace by running mile 4 in 8:14. It was really quiet out on the cemented trail that winds through Starkey Park. Felt like it gave me time to focus thou. Received some much need water at the stations positioned every couple of miles. They were manned by costumed volunteers. Gave me a nice laugh!

Mile 5 had me passing a barefoot runner who kept trying to run in the grass next to the cemented trail, but was getting sandspirs or something and had to keep stopping. Had a couple of curves and short turns so did it in 8:45. Mile and passing a few more, but also seeing some of the faster runners returning back. Offered up kudo's for a great job so far! I think seeing the faster runners inspired me so I did it in 8:17. Kept trying to keep an easy and even pace going as I neared halfway of the race. Noticed I was ahead of schedule with 55:40. Finished up mile 7 going over a short uphill climb with a 8:35 mile. The turnaround of the half marathon was about at the 7 1/2 mark and offered some much needed gel. I walked a few steps to get it down with some water and started the way back home. With the slow down I did mile 8 in 8:56 which was a little over pace, but okay.

I was joined by two woman runners who said they had been tracking me for about 4 1/2 miles. I ran with them for awhile and we discussed how my son and I were running together in the beginning. I stated I hoped he listened to me when I stated I wanted him back at the 1/2 to go separation point to lead me in. Their pace was a little faster than mine at that part and they started to pull away. Mile 9 was right on pace at 8:48, bu t I was really starting to feel it by then. I downed another gel pack, but had no water to wash it down, Bad move! Had that taste in my mouth for awhile until I hit the next water station where I walked through to get extra cups. That made mile 10 pace at 8:57.  A little high, but still okay.

I knew by calculations that unless I "bonked" I would make my goal of 1:59:59 with ease. Miles 11 and 12 were not easy by any stretch with times of 8:55 and 9:39. I know I needed to pick up the pace as to not just finish under my goal, but to do it running. As I near the 1/2 mile to go I wondered if my son would show up. Like clockwork out him came. He showed me his medal (they gave out to all runners-halfs and 5ks) and told me he came in 3rd in his age group. He helped pace me in and then sped up to take my picture as I crossed the finish line.

DONE! DID IT! FINISH! CROSS IT OFF THE LIST!!

Finishing time of 1:55:10. Almost 5 minutes under my goal!

Received my medal, took the chip off, and received much needed liquids. We made our way back to the pavilion for some pancakes for breakfast. Plenty of food and drinks on hand. Sadly bananas showed up much later. Went out and took so more pictures of the decorations and his mug (?) award and waited for half awards/door prizes. We waited and waited and waited. Even thou I assumed I did not place we stayed to double check with the door prizes they were giving out, but it took a long while. The also gave out the fastest costume runners and the best costume runner. Best one was the Glee cheerleader, but also there was Superwoman, a bumble bee and a few more.

All in all a pretty good event with some hiccups with the darkness-need lights, Rain--cannot control, and quicker results/awards! Was still veyr happy with my first Half Marathon time of 1:55:10 placing 5th in my age group and 26th overall out of 86. Will consider doing this one again next year is schedule allows!!








No comments:

Post a Comment