Saturday, December 31, 2011

November 2011

Turkey Chase 5K/Mile Saturday November 19 Bartow Fl

Back in Bartow for another event with the Bartow Parks and Recreation group. This was the third year of this event and they had a 5k, a 2k, and a Walk/Wag with your pet event. They all started at the same time with the 5k runners up front, then a gap in between the 2k'ers, and a gap between before the pet group.

Arrived and simple enough was picket pickup and also dropped off some canned goods for the homeless they were taking. Saw my friend Sebastian again and asked his son (dad doesn't speak english) when his dad's birthday was. He told me in February so I still got a couple of months. Went out and warmed up with my son who was going to do the 2k. Another skate park close by got him out of bed to come. Another good friend Bill L and his son was there also. Nice cool day--love Florida!

Course starts on Jackson Ave behind high school. Head slight downhill to Georgia St going uphill to Hibiscus Dr. Pretty level pass the 1/2 mile mark as you turn on Soledad Avevinda. Going downhill the 2k runners turn back on Jackson Ave while the 5k'ers curve onto Clower St. The 1 mile mark gets you turning on Shumate Dr for a nice long downhill and slighty back up as you turn onto Stuart St. You turn on Jackson and turn into a small park. You go around a little lake passing mile mark 2 that is all flat before going back out on Jackson Ave. Turning right on Stuart St you get a big uphill climb before turning on Orange Ave with a slight downhill. Turn on Georgia St passing the mile 3 marker as you turn on Jackson St for the final 1/10 to the finish line.

Everyone lined up got instructions and off we went. Long story short form the start I seemed to be enjoying the day instead of going all out to PR. Kind of surprising, but was enjoying the moment. Still had a good pace going with hitting 1/2 mile with 6:40 pace. Passed Mile 1 marker at 6:47 so was still feeling good as I pass a couple of runners. As I came into the little park off of Jackson I could see my son had finished the 2k and was being interviewed. A women passed me right before the Mile 2 marker which was second mile pace of 7:05.  As I went to go out of the park and back onto Jackson my son let me know he was first overall in the 2k and Bill L's son Brady came in third==pretty cool!! Turned onto Stuart with the big uphill and another runner passed. Turning on Orange I could see a high schooler slowing down and "tossing his cookies" multiiple times, but kept right on going. Pulled up next to him as we came to Mile 3. Third mile pace of 7:17 still not bad. Told the boy "Let's sprint for the finish." Luckily he held his cookies down as he toasted me in the sprint. Finished in 21:56. Well off a PR, but for once did a race with a "just enjoy it " attitude. Even with that was still first in my age group and 12th overall out of 133.

Really enjoy the Bartow events and seemed to be organized and staffed ver ywell, but the same ugly cloud from the other event showed up again. The enormous wait for results and awards. This was not chip timed and they manually wrote down your times and place when you finished. Knowing we were still going to go by the skate park we almost left. After about 45 minutes from the first "We are almost done" the awards started. I discussed with the director that seems to be my only negative point from his events and he assurred that would be top priority to get fixed. Time will tell--no pun intended!



Fishhawk Turkey Trot Thursday November 24 Fishhawk Fl

Turkey day again in Fishhawk! Only problem was that I felt my hamstring starin even more on my training run a few days before. Knowing I had a half marathon the next week I decided to sit this one out and go and watch. I had my niece and friend Bill L running so I videotaped and offered support. Vidoes of the start and finish are on Youtube. In a short time this event has exploded in numbers. With around 500 in 2009 and 920 in 2010 they really increased by having over 1500 just in the 5k. That is not including the kid's fun runs. They also moved from the high school to across the road with set up in the Publix shopping center.

A large day of regristartion again made for long lines. Luckily they were plenty of volunteers on hand to help. The starting line was on the main road of Fishhawk and started with a nice long downhill. I choose to go out about 200 yrads in the median and film the start. After a short delay and some instructions the gun went off. They had a lead car with a timer clock in the back for the lead runners. Funny thou that someone was getting in the car as the start gun went off and the first few runners had to go around the car before it sped off in front by them. Luckily no one was hurt. Was cool to see all the runners go by as I was in the median surrounded. As the last few passed I turned with the video camera to show all the runners in the downhill. Just a mass of people.

Cannot give you a review of the course, but map is below. I do know there were a few ups/downs. Of course with the nice downhill at the start meant for a not so nice uphill for the finish. Allot were struggling with that. Seemed like everything went according to plan with the event and did not hear any negatives. Wish I could have done it, but glad I got to at least watch and rest my legs for the hupcoming half. Hopefully I can get some miles in. Did not stay for awards, but did have plenty of food/drink afterwards. Results were posted quick also.

No comments:

Post a Comment