Thursday, December 29, 2011

December 2010

Brandon Half Marathon and 5k Sunday December 5 Brandon Fl
This event was the first one that I have done that is put on by the Brandon Runners group. They put on some great events and I have even gone out and done some speed work and hill running with them. The 5k is a out and back. It starts in front Sports Authority and makes it way out on Lumsden Ave. You turn on Lake Brandon Blvd and proceed to Gronto Lake Blvd for the turnaround. You come back and finish right in front of Sports Authority. Could not ask for a better event. Perfect cool weather, flat course, and one of high school XC runners I know (Trixxi) was running the 5k. I used her as my pace even thou it was faster than normal for me. I passed her with about a mile to go and kept pushing it another PR 21:38. Almost 30 seconds off my previous PR. It really helped to have her as a pace. Will not let her forget that I beat her, but she really paid me back for it in this event in 2011. Check blog review in Dec 2011.Chip timed and results printed quick. 218 runners in the 5k. Mile markers and water halfway. Long sleeve tech shirts. The best after party with hamburgers, chicken, hot dogs, fruit and more!! Check out blog in Dec 2011 for half marathon review. Will always put this one on the calendar!

Thanks to John for use of picture. He took great pics at the event!

Frosty 5k Saturday December 18 Sarasota Fl
Last race of the year. I was looking forward to making it end on a great note, but things do not always go as planned. The weather made for some choices that had to be made. It was raining at the start so I decided to wear a light jacket which kept me dry. but made me hot quick. I wore a hat also and it came off so I had to stop to pick up. I went out to fast wanted to follow up my last PR race and the day got the best of me. I had to slow down around the 2 mile mark and then all of a sudden Frosty the Snowman passed me. I thought there was no way a man in a Frosty costume was going to beat me so it at least inspired me enough to get going. Finished in a wet and miserable 22:47. Course was pretty flat and easy. Mile markers and water on course. Cotton shirt. They gave you a hand towel at the finish which was nice. I did not stay much after finishing so I do not know about food or awards. They had stated the awards would be Frosty unique, but was not in the mood. Would do again thou to make amends but schedule did not make it possible in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment