Thursday, December 29, 2011

October 2010

No races in September due to the hamstring strain and sons XC races.

Gasparilla Island 5k and 10k Run Sunday October 3 Boca Grande Fl
After having to take time off I was ready to get put and run to see how I had progressed. My goal wa just to break 24, but I could feel this was going to be a good day! They do a 10k and 5k. They start both at the sametime and you run the first 1 mile together before the 10k splits off. This is a 98% flat races with just a small hill about at the 1/2 mile mark.This is a scenic course on the small island. Had to pay extra toll to get on island for race, but was informed beforehand. Mile markers and water at halfway. Like I stated I felt good so I pushed it. I had told my son (didnt run)  to meet me at the finish line at 23:45 mark or so and he showed up on time , but I was already done. I finished in 22:47 which was my new PR!! Time was chip timed. Nice long sleeve shirts. Unique trophies for age winners. Door prizes including weekend stay. Nice spread of food/drinks after. Zoomers running club does a great job with thier events! Would do again, but they did not have it in 2011. Instead they did a 4 mile run I believe.

Jim Ryun Invitational Saturday May 23 Lakelnad Fl
This race was done in conjunction with Jim Ryun Invit. XC School race they held. My son's school was doing this race. The 5k was held before the XC races.The course was the same as the XC used which was two loops on the campus of Without Walls Church and school. It had been awhile since I had run on grass, dirt, and trails so my time reflected the change. Like most XC races there was no water on teh course, but did have mile markers. I had wanted to lower my PR, but came in at 22:58 which was fine since the real reason I wanted to do this race was for the award. Normally I do not do a race to focus on winning n award, but these medals were really cool and large. They are designed after Jim Ryun's Olympic medal he had won. There were only about 35-40 runners. Jim Ryun was there and I was able to get picture with him and an autograph of his book.Nice Adidas tech shirts. I would do this again since the medals are cool, but shcedule did not allow in 2011.



No comments:

Post a Comment