Wednesday, December 28, 2011

March 2010

Races and reviews for March 2010.

Trout Creek Trail Runs Sunday March 14, 2010 Thonotosassa Fl.
Since it was our first event of course it would hard to have a negative reveiw of this event, but as I look back I would not have done a negative one anyway. I think this a great fun event! They have two races that start at the sametime. They have a 15k and a 5k. Both start at the bottom of a hill and then you run on a "beam" which is a elevated hard dirt road. The 15k goes out for a 10k and them returns to follows the 5k route to the finish. The 5k runs on the beam for about 3/4 of a mile and then starts toward the trail. You cross the entrance road (only waterstop) and the rest is all on trails through the woods. It is about 50/50 single/double track so passing can be limted at times. Like most all trails runs I have done there were no mile markers and noise (besides nature) is very limited. There was a small hill that caught us by surprise because you made a turn then it was a quick up/down. A little after that was the finish which was a nice long straightway. My thoughts of my son and I finishishing our first race together were dashed when he said "See ya later old man" and started to sprint. I closed to about 2 1/2 steps at the finish. Since it was our first to just finish was the goal , but I really wanted to finish under 30:00. We finished at 29:26 and 29:28 so we were happy with that. This and some others around town are put on by the Tampa Races group and are done very well. They do not give out age group awards thou, instead they give out Top 25 male and female. There were 153 runners in the 15k and 151 in the 5k. The food and atmosphere afterward was great! Cotton t shirts. All in all a great first event and one that I would recommend.
FGCU Malaria 5k Saturday March 27 Ft Myers Fl
Didnt get much info on this one and it was the first one they were doing (I think) and you could tell a difference from the others. It was at Florida Gulf Coast University and started at thier gym. It was 90% on the streets of the campus with a little grass running throw in. My son learned the valuable lesson to not go all out from the start in this one. He was running on fumes at the end so it made it easy to pay him back on his "old man"comment. No mile markers and they stated water was halfway but we reached in I thought early at 12:15 time. We finished at 27:03 and 27:05. He finished first in age group, but got tickets to an event at the school so I bought him lunch for the win. Would have rathered he had gotten medal or trophy for display. Cotton shirts and not much for refeshments. Would probably pass on doing this one again.
"Old Man" showing the young one how to finish a race!!

No comments:

Post a Comment