Friday, December 30, 2011

May 2011

Tampa Firefighters Pediatric Burn Survivor 5k Run
This was an inaugural event put on by the Tampa Firefighters Charity Fund. About the only negative is unfortunately for them they scheduled it the same day as another big race in town Miles for Moffitt at USF. They still had 259 runners, but I am sure they would have had more if not for the same  date as the Moffitt race. I noticed for 2012 they have moved it two weeks. God for them and the charity!

The race started at the Tampa Firefighters Museum and that made packet pickup a little cramped so hopefully they will move it outside next year. The chip table moved outside to make for room. They had some great door prizes, but you could not see the raffle table inside so you did not know it was there to purchase tickets.

Again looking for a new PR with this supposedly being a flat course. Before the start they sang the National Anthem and had bagpipes playing--real cool!! This race is almost the reverse of the Race for Sight course. You start out on Zack st and head up Nuccio Parkway doing a down and back on Palm Ave before heading back on Nuccio Parkway and finishing in front of the museum. I had noticed an older runner who seems to finish in front of me by 15-20 seconds so I decided to let him pace me. So off we went out onto Nuccio Parkway. Weird running this way after running the opposite was in the race the month earlier. Anyway settled in and made the 1 mile mark a few seconds slower at 6:35 with the older runner just in front of me. I kept trying to keep pace which I did until almost the 2 mile mark which I passed with a 6:58 pace. Coming back up Nuccio I was pushing to stay close, but could notice who was pulling away. I knew if I could hang on I would be around PR territory which was the goal and not to beat him (which one day I hope to do!), As I hit mile 3 I noticed it was 7:10 pace which had me at 20:43 with the lat 1/10 to go. I let it go with a final sprint and crossed the finish line in 21:25!! PR by 2 seconds and I will take it! Felt good to run 2 races in a row under 21:30.  Results were posted quick and awards not to long after. I finished first in my age group and 17th overall out of 259.

There was plenty of water/Gatorade and snacks after the race. You went upstairs in the museum for the awards and there was more drinks up there. They had great door prizes including restaurant and running stores, gift cards and more. Also had autographed Bucs and a Team signed Lightning Hockey stick. Great event and is on the calendar for 2012.



Memorial Day Freedom 5k Run Monday May 30 Vero Beach Fl
Another out of town race I did by offering up a stay at the beach to my wife. It was held on Memorial Day at Riverside Park which has a military memorial island adjacent to it. There was a planned Memorial Day ceremony there after the 5k event. My son and I went over the bridge walkway to observe and it was really moving to attend.

My  son wanted to wear my Garmin and he never usually asks so I let him for this race. I knew it would not probably be a PR day with the winds coming off the water. Will not share to much in this review with no time and distance refernces to give. I will say it was well organized from packet pickup and the on time start. They talked to a few youngsters into moving back away from the front also. Mile markers were out in this out and back route. Water station was about 1 1/4 so you got it going and coming. Like I stated the wind was coming off the water so you hit it a couple of times so it was hard to keep the same pace going.

Without the Garmin and with the wind I was able to focus on my strides more and came in at 21:59. Had to give extra sprint to stay under 22. Was happy with that considering,, Finished third in age group and 24th overall out of 232. Had plenty of water and fruit afterwards. I actually won a door prize at this one which was a $25 gift card so it basically paid for my entry.

All in all pretty good race and well organized. Would do if lived in the area and would recommend to those that do live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment