Thursday, December 29, 2011

November 2010

Plant City YMCA 5K Saturday November 6 Plant City Fl
One word--COLD!!!! It was high 30's at the start. But run we must! A small turnout on this chilly morning. Race started at the YMCA and proceeded through neighborhood towards Walden Lake. Course continued around the Lake on the cemented walking trail through trees and golf course. Then returning back to the YMCA for the finish. Mostly flat. Only problem was that after starting at the YMCA and entering the neighborhood we were suppose to turn left, but leaders kept going straight. I knew we still okay since we would just do the course backwards, but had already mapped it out the correct way. With a smaller field of only around 50 I was with the lead pack of 5. At the 1 mile point I pulled into 3 and about halfway I past another to settle in just behind the leader. I was focusing on the path and checking my Garmin that I didn't notice the fork in the road (since I was used to coming the other way) and as I went to the left closer to the water I noticed the leader was not in front of me. I had already went about 50 yds so I did not want to turn around and double back and lose that time. I knew they must come back together I just hoped I would not come out in front to make it look like I cheated. When I did get back on the main course I did not see the leader in front or behind me. I kept on running and finally I see him about 200 yards in front of me. I had lost allot of time by going off course. Luckily no one had caught back up to me. So I kept on going and finished with another PR 22:11 and Second Overall. Would have been nice to maybe have a chance at the end but my mistake I guess. Mile markers and water was on the course, but not in correct spots since we ran it backwards. Tech shirts and only banana/bars at the finish. When they gave out awards they started with overall then went to womens. When they got to the men and then to my age group they had run out of the regular medals and gave me the smallest medal I have seen. It looked like a cheap kids medal. I was thinking my best finish--second overall and that is what I get. I do not like to complain since it was a charity, but needed to do a better job with that. Would do again but schedule did not allow in 2011.
Shake your Tailfeathers Saturday November 20 Pt St Lucie Fl
We were out of town so I found this race to do the Sat before Thanksgiving. This was held at the beatiful Pt St Lucie Civic Center. The start and finish was right in front. You went around the large 3 story parking garage which sadly I am told is not used since the businesses they thought were going to be built were not. Then out towards a lake that you go around before returning back to the finish. Was in a very nice area and running around lake was nice. Weather was ideal and I used it to PR again by finishing in 22:08. Mile markers and water on course, but volunteers did not hand out the water. They just placed it on the table for you to pick up. Some fruit at the finish, but not much. Had some games and face painting for the kids before they did their race. Cotton t shirt. Not bad , but probably would not do again since it is so far.



Fishhawk Turkey Trot Saturday November 25 Fishhawk Fl
Turkey Time!! This event started out at Newsome High school in 2009 and this year, but increased so much in 2011 they had to move it. Review in Nov 2011 blog. You started at the high school and made your way through the parking lot of the high school and middle school before going around the Fishhawk Sports complex. Then you returned back through the parking lots to the high school football stadium for the finish. There were 920 runners this year and it made for some log jams at certain points of the race for slower runners. Some walkers and strollers made the way closer to the front of the starting line which made it hard for some to get around. I was about 5 deep from the front so I didnt have as much problems, but some areas were tight. Mile markers and water halfway. They did not expect the large turnout and day of regristration that they ran out of water at the finish for the slower runners. Only gave out top overall awards. Flat course and great weather helped  me PR again by finishing at 22:06. Would do again and signed up for 2011 but hamstring kept me out. I still went to watch and gave review of it in the Nov 2011 blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment